(no longer available)
We are no longer selling the 1018 Lathe, however we are
continuing to offer a full line of accessories for
This web page is now dedicated to the ongoing support, any
maintenance issues or questions, specifications & warranty information etc.
This 'mini' lathe was designed at the request of those
turners having limited space but nevertheless demand a lathe of the highest
quality. The machine was designed so that anything that fits
in its capacity could be turned without compromise.
This mini lathe has been built with the same sturdy
construction as our full size lathes. A high quality, precision
spindle, offset tubular bed construction, precision machined bedways,
as well as ONEWAY's patented banjo locking mechanism are all standard
features on this machine. If you can fit a blank on this little lathe,
its performance will not disappoint you.
This lathe has been designed for turner's with limited
space, or who are devoted to turning smaller pieces. It was designed in
such a way that nothing was sacrificed. It's bed was fashioned after it's
larger counterpart, which has already proven itself throughout the woodturning
community. By slightly offsetting the bed, chips fall through cleanly
and while not sacrificing torsional rigidity. It is made to dwarf current
lathes in the market of the same size.
The Lathes Specifications are:
- Standard distance between centers is 18" ( 42" with Mini
- Overall length of lathe- 35 ¾"
- Overall length of bench - 40"
- Swing over bed - 10"
- Swing over banjo - 6 ¾"
Weight with motor -approximately 140 lbs. (bench not included)
Bedways and ribs are welded to a 4½ inch diameter
* ¼inch wall tube. The assembly is stress relieved and precision
machined. Bedways are offset so chips and debris fall straight thru without
sacrificing rigidity. Bedways are machined with a seven degree taper for
rapid installation and removal of the tailstock. Almost perfect torsional
rigidity is achieved - many times more than twin tube or cast iron bed
Headstock & Spindle
A quick overview of the headstock and spindle features
- 24 position indexing
- Spindle lock
- Spindle Thread: 1"-8 tpi (inboard) & 3/4"-16 tpi (outboard)
- Safety Groove in spindle to prevent accessories from unscrewing from
- No. 2 Morse Taper (inboard side)
- 3/8" thru hole (supports necessary requirements for vacuum chucking)
Our spindles are hardened, machined, and contain four
bearings. At the front are two deep groove ball bearings custom fitted
with ground spacers, and locked to the shaft with a lock nut in the housing.
This minimizes radial and axial play of the spindle. The rear bearings
float axially to allow for heat expansion. The bearings are no maintenance
greased for life.
The spindle is 1-5/8" at maximum diameter and drilled
thru 3/8" with No. 2 Morse Taper at the inboard end. It is made from
high alloy steel, hardened and ground to precision tolerance of +- 0.003
A special self supporting wrench is used to remove accessories
from the spindle such as faceplates and chucks.
The spindle nose, which holds the front bearings, protrudes
approximately 1½ inches in front of the headstock, allowing easy
toll maneuvering when working on the backside of projects.
The spindle is 1" - 8 threads per inch with a groove
machined for a lock screw. This design contributes to the safety of this
machine, as it reduces the possibility of chucks or faceplates accidentally
unscrewing from the spindle. It is also safer when sanding or during braking.
This lathe is a Jack-Shaft design with a 1" wide
belt driving the spindle from the intermediate shaft. This design adds
cost, but the benefits are much greater rigidity for turning. Motor to
jack-shaft utilises a six groove poly V belt, which can be easily changed
Drive (AC Electronic Variable speed with Dynamic Braking)
The drive package is fully electronic with speed from
0 - 4000 RPM in both forward and reverse. Lathes are available in several
- No Motor or Drive (pulley, belt and motor bracket supplied).
- 1 HP - requiring 110 Volts. This is the standard configuration
for these lathes.
- 1 Hp - requiring 220 Volt. The lathe can be configured to run on
220 Volts at no extra charge.
- Speed ranges are 0 - 1000 / 0 - 2500 / 0 - 4000 rpm.
- Changing the range is easy and can be completed within a minute.
- The motor is mounted directly below the headstock.
- Motor pulleys are 3 step, and use 6 groove poly V belts.
- The controller comes programmed ready for use with built-in ramp
up / ramp down, and dynamic breaking. This is a high quality drive,
with single phase AC in / 3 phase out.
- The tailstock has an 1-1/8" diameter quill with 3" travel.
- The lead screw is a 3/4" dia. - 6 pitch Acme thread and the
barrel has a 3" bearing length.
- The 4" handwheel and the high lead on this screw allows rapid
feeds for drilling.
Easily removed or installed on the bed.
- Precision design and a #2 Morse Taper allows the use of stronger
live centers and larger drills.
- The super rigid tailstock clamp is designed so that no flexing will
occur under clamp pressure. This will ensure that the clamp will hold
firmly while requiring no adjustment for the life of the lathe, and
will retain the ease of movement of the tailstock along the bed.
Banjo / Toolrest Base
Uses ONEWAY's own proven design that ensures even , powerful
clamping anywhere on the bed (patent applied for). The sliding cam is
supported by a cam support block which rests on a ledge machined in the